Wheeler County, Oregon Genealogy
Wheeler County, Oregon family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your personal Wheeler Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Wheeler County was created on February 17, 1899 from parts of Grant County, Gilliam County, and Crook County. This particular county was named in honor of Henry H. Wheeler, who operated the first mail stage line from The Dalles to Canyon City.
The Wheeler County Seat can be found in Fossil plus the county government website is www.wheelercounty-oregon.com/
Areas adjoining Wheeler County happen to be Gilliam County (north), Morrow County (northeast), Grant County (east), Crook County (south), Jefferson County (northwest), Wasco County (northwest).
Cities and towns situated in Wheeler County consists of Fossil, Mitchell, Spray.
Wheeler County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
- Government Website:
- Created Date / Origin:
- County Seat:
- Named After:.
- Bordering Counties:
- Cities & towns include:
Wheeler County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Wheeler County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oregon Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Wheeler County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Wheeler County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Wheeler County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Wheeler County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Wheeler County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 701 Adams Street, Fossil, OR 97830
- Phone: (541) 763-2400
- Marriage Records: 1896
- Land Records: 1865
- Wheeler County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 701 Adams St., PO Box 308, Fossil, OR 97830
- Phone: 541.763.2541
- Court Records: 1887
- Probate Records: 1888
- Wheeler County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Wheeler County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Wheeler County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Wheeler County genealogy or family history related sites.
Wheeler Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Wheeler Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Wheeler Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Wheeler Co. OR Census Records
Wheeler Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Wheeler Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Wheeler Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Wheeler Co. OR General and History Websites
Wheeler Co. OR Immigration & Naturalization
Wheeler Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Wheeler Co. OR Military Records
Wheeler Co. OR Schools & Directories