Josephine County, Oregon Genealogy
Josephine County, Oregon family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your personal Josephine Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Josephine County was created on January 22, 1856 from the western half of Jackson County. This particular county was named in honor of Virginia "Josephine" Rollins, the first white woman to make this county her home.
The Josephine County Seat can be found in Grants Pass plus the county government website is www.co.josephine.or.us
Areas adjoining Josephine County happen to be Curry County (west), Jackson County (east), Douglas County (north), Del Norte County, California (southwest), Siskiyou County, California (south).
Cities and towns situated in Josephine County consists of Cave Junction, Grants Pass.
Josephine County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Josephine Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Josephine Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Josephine Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Josephine County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Josephine County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oregon Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Josephine County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Josephine County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Josephine County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Josephine County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Josephine County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 500 NW 6th St, Grants Pass, OR 97526
- Phone: (541) 474-5240
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Land Records: 1854
- Josephine County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 500 NW 6th Street, Grants Pass, OR 97526
- Phone: 541.476.2309
- Court Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1854
- Josephine County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Oregon Historical Records
- Databases include Oregon Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oregon Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oregon Voter Lists & Census Records; Oregon Immigration & Emigration Records; Oregon Obituary Records; Oregon Military Records; Oregon Family Tree Records; Oregon Pictures; Oregon Stories, Memories & Histories; Oregon Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Josephine County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Josephine County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Josephine County genealogy or family history related sites.
Josephine Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Josephine Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Josephine Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Josephine Co. OR Census Records
Josephine Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Josephine Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Josephine Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Josephine Co. OR General and History Websites
Josephine Co. OR Immigration & Naturalization
Josephine Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Josephine Co. OR Military Records
Josephine Co. OR Schools & Directories