Curry County, Oregon Genealogy
Curry County, Oregon family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your personal Curry Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Curry County was created on December 18, 1855 from Coos County. This particular county was named in honor of George Law Curry (1820-1878), a governor of the Oregon Territory.
The Curry County Seat can be found in Gold Beach plus the county government website is www.co.curry.or.us/
Areas adjoining Curry County happen to be Coos County (north), Douglas County (northeast), Josephine County (east), Del Norte County, California (south).
Cities and towns situated in Curry County consists of Brookings, Gold Beach, Port Orford.
Curry County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Curry Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Curry Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Curry Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Curry County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Curry County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oregon Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Curry County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Curry County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Curry County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Curry County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Curry County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 230 Strand St., St. Helens, OR 97051
- Phone: (503) 397-3796
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1856
- Curry County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: PO Box 810, 29821 Ellensburg Ave., Gold Beach, OR 97444
- Phone: 541.247.4511
- Court Records: 1856
- Probate Records: 1856
- Curry County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Oregon Historical Records
- Databases include Oregon Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oregon Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oregon Voter Lists & Census Records; Oregon Immigration & Emigration Records; Oregon Obituary Records; Oregon Military Records; Oregon Family Tree Records; Oregon Pictures; Oregon Stories, Memories & Histories; Oregon Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Curry County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Curry County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Curry County genealogy or family history related sites.
Curry Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Curry Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Curry Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Curry Co. OR Census Records
Curry Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Curry Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Curry Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Curry Co. OR General and History Websites
Curry Co. OR Immigration & Naturalization
Curry Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Curry Co. OR Military Records
Curry Co. OR Schools & Directories