Crook County, Oregon Genealogy
Crook County, Oregon family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your personal Crook Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Crook County was created on October 24, 1882 from Wasco County. This particular county was named in honor of George Crook (1828 - 1890), a U.S. Army officer who served in the American Civil War and the Indian Wars.
The Crook County Seat can be found in Prineville plus the county government website is www.co.crook.or.us/
Areas adjoining Crook County happen to be Deschutes County (southwest), Jefferson County (north), Wheeler County (north), Grant County (east), Harney County (southeast).
Cities and towns situated in Crook County consists of Prineville.
Crook County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Crook Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Crook County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Crook County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oregon Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Crook County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Crook County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Crook County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Crook County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Crook County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 300 NE 3rd St, Prineville, OR 97754
- Phone: (541) 447-6553
- Marriage Records: 1882
- Land Records: 1864
- Crook County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 300 NE Third Street, Prineville, OR 97754
- Phone: 541.447.6541
- Court Records: 1882
- Probate Records: 1882
- Crook County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Oregon Historical Records
- Databases include Oregon Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oregon Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oregon Voter Lists & Census Records; Oregon Immigration & Emigration Records; Oregon Obituary Records; Oregon Military Records; Oregon Family Tree Records; Oregon Pictures; Oregon Stories, Memories & Histories; Oregon Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Crook County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Crook County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Crook County genealogy or family history related sites.
Crook Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Crook Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Crook Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Crook Co. OR Census Records
Crook Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Crook Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Crook Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Crook Co. OR General and History Websites
Crook Co. OR Immigration & Naturalization
Crook Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Crook Co. OR Military Records
Crook Co. OR Schools & Directories