Baker County, Oregon Genealogy
Baker County, Oregon family history and genealogy research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you locate your personal Baker Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Baker County was created on September 22, 1862 from Wasco County (Later, Union County and Malheur County were created from this county. The boundaries were adjusted for the last time in 1901, when the area between the Powder River and the Wallowa Mountains was returned to Baker County). This particular county was named in honor of Edward Dickinson Baker, a senator from Oregon who was killed at Ball's Bluff, a battle of the American Civil War.
The Baker County Seat can be found in Baker City plus the county government website is www.bakercounty.org/
Areas adjoining Baker County happen to be Union County (north), Wallowa County (north), Grant County (west), Malheur County (south), Washington County, Idaho (east), Adams County, Idaho (northeast).
Cities and towns situated in Baker County consists of Baker City, Greenhorn, Haines, Halfway, Huntington, Richland, Sumpter, Unity.
Baker County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules can be found for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. Baker Co. Mortality Schedules is available for 1870 and 1880. Baker Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1870 and 1880. Baker Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. There is free down loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Baker County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Baker County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives. See Also Oregon Archives, Genealogical and Historical Societies for statewide Addresses and links.
Baker County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Baker County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Oregon courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Oregon residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Baker County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records.
Please contact the clerk's office to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics in advance of visiting or asking for information because of occasionally changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many workers will guide people in finding the resources, however it is up to the particular person to undertake the research.
The below specifics indicates whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, probate, and court records are typically in Baker County. The dates stated below are considered the first noted records data for this county.
- Baker County Clerk has many duties which include vital statistics (births, deaths, marriage) and keeps a permanent public record of real estate transactions.
- Address: 1995 Third Street Suite 150, Baker City, OR 97814
- Phone: (541) 523-8207
- Marriage Records: 1862
- Land Records: 1862
- Baker County Circuit Court Clerk has general jurisdiction over all civil and criminal cases, and typically handle cases beyond the jurisdiction of other courts. Circuit Courts also handle divorce, child custody, disputes over title to land, probate matters, juvenile cases, guardianship, adoption, involuntary commitment, and requests for injunctions.
- Address: 1995 3rd St. Suite #220, Baker City, OR 97814
- Phone: 541.523.6305
- Court Records: 1862
- Probate Records: 1862
- Baker County Records Inventory (http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us) The Oregon Historical County Records Guide includes descriptions and listings for each type of record in the inventory. Each series description includes a title and a description of how the records are used (function); types of records that may be included in each category (physical content); type of information that may be found (informational content)
- Oregon Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has birth and death records dating from 1903; marriage records from 1906; and divorce certificates (not decrees) from 1925. There is a fee for each copy requested.
Oregon Historical Records
- Databases include Oregon Court, Land, Wills & Financial Records; Oregon Birth, Marriage & Death Records; Oregon Voter Lists & Census Records; Oregon Immigration & Emigration Records; Oregon Obituary Records; Oregon Military Records; Oregon Family Tree Records; Oregon Pictures; Oregon Stories, Memories & Histories; Oregon Directories & Member Lists and much more....
Baker County Genealogy Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Baker County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is just a list that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own most popular Baker County genealogy or family history related sites.
Baker Co. OR Books, Newspapers & Publications
Baker Co. OR Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Baker Co. OR Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Baker Co. OR Census Records
Baker Co. OR Cemeteries & Graveyards
Baker Co. OR Church & Bible Records
Baker Co. OR Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Baker Co. OR General and History Websites
Baker Co. OR Immigration & Naturalization
Baker Co. OR Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Baker Co. OR Military Records
Baker Co. OR Schools & Directories